Reflection on PD Lab H&Ps

1. What differences do you note between the two H&Ps?
  • As I reflect on the H&Ps I can see that my HPI has become more concise and includes the pertinent positives. In my H&P from physical diagnosis I left out some pertinent positives from the HPI which I made sure to include in the next H&P. PD II also included assessment and differential in addition to the H&P. Although I only had one Hospital visit during PD II thinking of the assessment and differential has made it easier to make the HPI more concise 
  1. In what ways has your history-taking improved?  Are you eliciting all the important information?
  • I can see that my history taking improved as I have included all pertinent information during PD II visit while I had missed some parts of old carts and left out some pertinent information during initial hospital visit. Initial H&P also missed some aspects of Past medical history- while taking the family history I forgot to ask about the patient’s children.  I can see that I am able to elicit all important information from the patient. 
  1. In what ways has writing an HPI improved? (hint: look at the rubric scores)
  • While starting to write my first HPI in PD 1, I had left out some aspects of the old carts and some pertinent/ important components in the HPI however for the others following I have included pertinent information and ensured that I ask patients all OLD CARTS questions.  It has also become more concise. 
  1. What is your self-assessment of your current skill in performing a physical exam? Which areas do you feel strongest about/weakest about?
  • While I have gotten thorough and faster with physical examination but I am unable to completely finish the physical exams. I need to practice doing the physical exams in a thorough manner but quicker so that I am able to take a complete physical exam. 
  1. Of course we expect you to get stronger in all areas, but which of the specific areas will you target as needing particular focus in future patient visits when you start the clinical year? 
  • During future hospital visits I need to practice taking the history and doing the physical in a manner that ensures the patient is being listened to and taken care of while doing it quicker in order to complete all physical exams that needs to be done. During the first hospital visit in PD II I was unable to complete the physical exam in order to get a comprehensive history. I need to find a balance between the two in order to  be able to comprehensively examine patients.